I always liked Valentine’s Day, the romance, the cutesy-ness, the flowers. Love is in the air, as they say at the end of Strictly Ballroom the Musical (my latest obsession).
And a few weeks ago the thought occurred to me that I’ll be single this Valentine’s Day for the first time in a few years. For about 0.5 seconds I felt sad, but then I remembered that the last few years haven’t been the most romantic experiences. In recent times I’ve bought my own flowers after being told I didn’t need any; a sweet aquarium trip meant for 2 turned into a busy group outing; and I’ve heard the actual words, “I’m going to let go of your hand before we go in so we don’t look like a couple.” That last one is my favourite.
If you’re single and think you’re going to be miserable around this Valentine’s period, take it as a day to treat yo self. Love yourself, and why not? Here are a few things that I think will guarantee a super time spent in your own company away from the faff of couples fighting for romantic restaurant tables:
- Clear at least an evening of any plans or work
- Line up a few of your favourite and most-loved films or TV shows
- Get in your favourite food, whether that’s something you love to cook, or ordering from the Chinese takeaway down the road
- Add some snacks to your shopping list – my favourites are cookies, shortbread, Magic Stars, Galaxy chocolate and Kettle Chips (maybe not all at once!)
- If you drink and, like me, love a good rose, get in some of your favourite alcohol that you wouldn’t normally have during the week
These are actually my plans for the day – absolute and pure relaxation. I might add in a facemask and new PJs somewhere…
This Valentine’s Day, I’ve decided that I’m going to get the most love ever, from me. I’m going to treat myself to some pretty daffodils and have a day where I can just be. Being single is definitely better than being unhappy, 100%.
You’re the best person that you know, so spend the 14th of February taking care of number 1, you deserve it!
Valentine’s Day isn’t just for the couples, it’s for singletons to self-love as well!